Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Perspective

Hey peoples! Wanted to tell you about two opportunities I had yesterday that gave me a new perspective on life and what we consider our place in the world is. These chances don't come everyday; wonder why I had two in the same one. Maybe I just happened to notice them instead of letting them pass by as I move through a busy life.

First was our Crossfit WOD for the evening. The workout is usually posted the night before on the website or facebook page. The one yesterday turned out to be a tribute to a friend of the people who own the gym. A good friend passed away after a battle with cancer.

"Randall"
Run 500 metres

3 rounds of:
3 Thrusters 95 lbs for women (I did 70 lbs)
4 Burpees
9 Pull Ups
21 Box Jumps

500 metre run

Before getting to the gym I thought a lot about this workout. About how since my mom was diagnosed I have realized how far reaching this disease really is. How I am lucky to be here on this earth and healthy enough to even be able to do this workout. About how things could have been different as I could have just as easily been mourning someone I cared about too. I felt for their loss.

Right from the start this workout felt difficult. There are days once in awhile where my energy seems low and things are tough. I felt it in the first few hundred metres of the run. My mind started to dread the rest but this workout was for someone who fought and lost to cancer and I knew I had no excuse whatsoever to not give all that I had at the time. Even if I didn't think it would be my best. I made it through with what I feel was a decent time for me (16 minutes and 42 seconds). Josh seemed to be having the same day as me and struggled. It was on his face during the last run. The WOD left us nauseous, weak and just not feeling very good at all. I said on the way home that it was fitting - multiply it by 1000 or even more and it might be close to what chemo and/or radiation felt like. At least I knew the feeling would be temporary for me.

After we got home we collapsed for a bit. Then my second opportunity for perspective was revealed. When Josh started telling me about his day I realized that I am not the only one who works under a system that is broken. I work for the legal system as a probation officer and I'm sure we all have a story that shows how messed up things can be. I never thought about it that much but our health care system can be the same. Josh is an EMT and he encountered a few people who the system should be helping but isn't doing a very good job. He asked me something to the effect if I ever have days where my faith in the system is tested. He knew the answer, but I never saw that there was a potential for it to happen to him too. I love him for caring about these people and questioning why institutions that are supposed to help or protect people sometimes do the opposite. I used to see what he does as something that always helps people. Much more than what I do. And I'm sure we both do, but it is so much easier sometimes to find the examples of failed opportunities.

But he did tell me that he got a thank you from a random person in a store. In the past I have gotten a few heartfelt thank you's as well. We should hold on to those as they can be few and far between. And some people in our professions might never get one. Thank you to that person who was brave enough to give a a complete stranger, who just happened to be by wonderful boyfriend, some appreciation. More people should do the same. For strangers and those we care about.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment