Let's start with a quick weekend recap and then I will get to my reason for such a crazy title!
Saturday we were up early than our usual sleep in routine. Was a Relay for Life Tailgate party. Basically an outdoor fair for all the teams trying to raise money. We did pretty well, but there could have been a lot more traffic if we were down by the farmer's market I think. It's coming down to the wire and I'm happy with our funds raised but am a little sad we don't have many team members. It would be nice to have more than 3 of us walking all night. *sigh*. I didn't make it to the market but at least Josh did.
Anyways Saturday we were wiped out. Josh has thought we should rent a canoe on Sunday and practice in the river. After an argument in the morning, over our differing communication styles about the canoeing and making up, we headed to Valhalla to get one. As it turned out someone had rented all the canoes they had for the day. Boo! So we decided to go wall climbing at Collicutt. Wall is only open in the evenings - Boo again.
Earlier in the week we had agreed to go for a run on Sunday and I actually still wanted to go. I convinced Josh we needed to do it and we went to Kerrywood nature centre to do the 4km loop. 26 min 9 sec. A better time than I thought. I had guessed we took about ten minutes longer. My legs were still tired from out last WOD of sumo dead lift high pulls and the stairs licked my butt that time. I was proud of Josh for still coming even when he really didn't want to. It had finally been my turn to push him into working out and I succeeded! It used to be the opposite! I wore my new pair of Vibram Spyridon trail running shoes. Got a good blister on my bunion! Hope I can get back into them next time without too much pain. I am really getting excited for Mud Hero. We watched a Run for your Life zombie run video on facebook and it looks so awesome! Already have a list going of things we want to do for next year!
Over the weekend I got an email from Mike, the Steel Pony farmer. We bought a share in his farm. They deliver a box a week of veggies to you from July to October. Since June I have been very impatiently waiting for this to start. For some reason I had it in my head that we would be getting veggies in June. When we first signed up we offered to lend a hand whenever he needed it. Now was our time! We headed down the the farm which is just by Fort Normandeau. We were there for about 5 hours and learned a ton! I realize now that I could never be a farmer. It takes so long for things to grow! But it was neat seeing Mike excited when he noticed some of the plants coming out of the ground that were not there a week before. We also found out we had some similarities in thinking and interests. Was cool. So this is why I now like rain!! Bring on the veggies, garlic and herbs!!
It got me thinking about Mike and his girlfriend, who is co-owner of the farm, and a girl I knew through derby that just started her own ice cream truck in town. After hearing his story of how it came about that he started his own farm and thinking of Andrea I decided it is a supremely brave thing to do something like that. To go it alone in an area that you have never done before and just learn as you go. Mike said he is still learning and it is his second year of running the farm. Inspiring and scares the hell our of me at the same time. I have been toying with the idea of going back to school to get my masters in counselling, but it all seems so daunting. Not to mention all my questions of what happens or what I do when I get done. Go it alone in my own practice? Where would I get a job? Just thinking about it again makes me nervous.
I don't know what the answer is but it's been interesting seeing Mike and Andrea make a scary decision and just do it! Inspiring to see but not good in another as it kind of puts the question right in my face. "If they are doing it, why aren't you?"
No comments:
Post a Comment