Monday, 28 May 2012

Getting comfortable on the water.

This weekend was really nice. We relaxed and took it easy. Finished up some camping laundry and chores on Saturday. Oh and the farmer's market! Our first time this season. It was great - except for the crowds. We sleep in and by time we ride our bikes there it is around 11 and busy. Makes Josh grumpy. So not sure the solution because we really like sleeping in! lol But we did find some huge ass turkey legs at one of the food stands. I seriously mean huge! People were staring and commenting. A paleo/all meat breakfast for sure!

Sunday was a great day. One of those good weather and everything works out as planned day. We went to Bower Ponds for Vahalla Outfitters demo days. Wanted to try out a canoe. Probably a good idea if we are going to do our river trip in July. Seemed to go well. We didn't tip and Josh did a good job of steering. It was huge so will be able to fit gear and stuff. We'll be renting one (even though Josh wants his own now) for the trip and will probably go another day on the river to make sure we can handle it. Also tried a kayak. My first time so it felt somewhat awkward.

I also tried a paddle board! They had a few kinds and when I saw people trying them out at first I thought no way! But everyone seemed to be doing well and no one had fallen in by the time we finished trying boats. Nervously I decided to get on, fearing I would be the first person of the day to fall in. Turned out to be a cool experience. Even got bumped by a little kid in a kayak who couldn't steer and only a little wobble. Would have been a much different situation if either of us were at higher speeds. I for sure would not have been happy to get dumped in the water!! Unfortunately I couldn't get Josh to try. He said he didn't have as good balance as myself. I think he would have done just fine, but I could not seem to convince him to try. That's when I realized he seems better at convincing me to do things I'm unsure about than me convincing him. Made me a little sad. Well maybe more pouty as in "no fair" than sad.

After all that paddling we were starving. Good thing we planned ahead and brought some smokies. I was pretty sure they had free wood for the fire pits at Little Chief park, and they did! Josh brought his axe and we (mostly he) made the best looking and cooking fire there! He is the absolute master of fire making. Didn't even need paper. I try when we camp but I suck at it and he usually has to fix what I have already tried to do. lol

After we had to have ice cream. We were trying a 21 day sugar detox thing but Josh fell off on Friday and Sunday I was the one who brought up ice cream. So we have changed our agreement. IF we do not have any sugar during the week we are allowed ONE sugar treat on the weekend. As long as we do something active the same weekend as well. On top of our regular gym visits of course. I think this is totally doable - well for me at least. I think Josh was thinking about getting M&M's yesterday. ;) At least it should help us cut down on sugar while still being allowed ice cream. How can you not want some on a sunny summer day? Did I mention we now want an ice cream maker? To make our own ice cream with coconut milk and honey/maple syrup - got some paleo cook books with recipes already.

All in all it was a relaxing weekend, and just what we needed. We looked at June and it's gonna be busy!!

Did I mention I want to go paddle boarding again?  ;)

2 comments:

  1. It's so awesome that paddle boarding is becoming popular. I did it in Hawaii two years ago, it was a total spur of the moment thing. I saw someone out in the middle of the ocean doing it and thought I should try, rented a board and paddled the afternoon away. It was an amazing feeling, and I didn't even fall in either. Thank god because I'm not a strong swimmer and I really was way out in the middle of the ocean. So tell Josh, if I can do it out in the ocean, he can do it on the pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how stable it seemed! I saw them doing it in Hawaii too but wasn't as brave as you! Josh will try it sometime I'm sure!

      Delete