Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Back to School

Ah back to school! I remember the days my mom used to make us stand beside each other on the first day of school so she could take a picture. After a few years, especially in my teens, I hated this ritual but still complied. Josh pointed out that in about 6 years or so all the facebook posts and pics of first day of school could be us. Another weird, stressful and somehow nice feeling this evoked. He said could be us though. Since we have become more aware of alternatives to society's status quo in all aspects of life for a time I was thinking about homeschooling if we ever had children. I know it is a long ways way, but something to think about. Today's schools just seemed so messed up at times on what they teach and how they treat children and parents. What do you think of home school vs traditional school?

2 comments:

  1. I disagree with a lot of things going on in school lately. My friends 12 year old doesn't get punished for not doing homework or not passing tests. I think it's terrible. It's not teaching kids that they need to work hard and learn to get ahead, they just get pushed through each grade doing the minimum and then what?

    I would like to homeschool but having to work full time, I don't think it would be possible for us :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. I'm not sure how feasible it will be for us either, but when the time comes it might be worth the sacrifice. There's a group I know who are trying to start a Waldorf school. Has totally different philosophy than most other schools. The Wonderflow preschool here uses it. Try googling for more info about Waldorf.

    ReplyDelete