Before I got pregnant I learned a little about what a doula is and decided when I was with child that I would look into getting one. Put in simple terms a doula is a labour helper and will pretty much do whatever you need them to do. Within reason of course and besides giving birth for you. 😉
Pretty much the day after I peed on that stick and it was positive I contacted the two local midwifery groups. The advice I was given was to contact them as soon as I might even think I was pregnant 😉 and I guess I should have listened because they both said they were full for the time of my due date. It was disappointing but not much could be done except ask to be put on the waiting list. We started looking into doulas then since we knew we would need help navigating all the hospital policy and such that we had wanted to avoid by getting a midwife.
Then last month we won the lottery. The Blessing Way midwife group in Rocky Mountain House called. They had gotten a third midwife and were taking new clients! Happy day! But stressful. We had to go there for an interview within two days. Luckily they saw us in the evening and Josh was off work. I was worried that it would not work out since they are in Rocky or we would have to choose between risking travelling there in winter for my birth or at the hospital in Red Deer. But it was no contest. We had such a good interview and things just felt right we decided that night to go with the midwives.
We aren't really sure exactly where I might be giving birth. They might come to Red Deer for a home birth, which is my first choice, we could find a birth friendly place in Rocky, or it may be in Red Deer or Rocky hospital. Depends on so many factors. I've pretty much made myself okay with the fact that I need to be flexible and take things as they come.
So back to the doula issue. When we got in with the midwives I wasn't sure we needed a doula anymore, but it seems it's still a good way to go. We have interviewed about 5 as you need to find the right person. We were told when you meet "the one" you will just know. What BS! We have it narrowed to three and they all seem great for completely different reasons and personalities. Like comparing apples and oranges. We plan to make a decision by end of month though.
I'm sure whoever we choose will be wonderful!
No comments:
Post a Comment