Since starting Paleo in October of 2011 I have slowly been coming to the realization of how simple food can be, but it really hit me today.
I have always hated paying for things that I knew I could make myself, but because of lame excuses like "I don't have the time" we seem to go buy it anyway. Pisses me off actually. So when yesterday I came home and lifted the lid of my crock pot I was so happy! And still am the next day actually.
I made home made applesauce. Yep, I did. Why is this such a big deal? Maybe I am weird but I am stuck on how simple it was. Apples and cinnamon. Core, peel and put in crock pot for 8 hours. I didn't even have to be home for the cooking! Mine was in for ten hours and when I got home stirred with a spoon and done! Didn't even have to throw it in food processor. Look at a jar of it in the store. I'm sure it has many more ingredients than that. The stuff I made has no sugar and doesn't need it.
I also bought an ice cream maker. I debated it for so long but decided to splurge. Hopefully in the long run it will pay for itself if it stops me from buying ice cream. It seems to be my weakness this summer. Only "real" hard ice cream is what I buy from Peppermint Andy's or the little pink store on Ross Street but still has dairy and sugar. Not to mention the waffle cones they must come in. My ice cream maker will only be fed coconut milk. Last week I made my first batch. Again super simple, and only 4 ingredients. Maple bacon flavor. Pretty good and fed Josh and I for two nights. I'm thinking of making another type and taking it to my step dad's birthday party this weekend. Save us from eating cake.
Next step seems to be making sauerkraut. Josh bought a jar for it and I think he has done enough research. Just gotta get some cabbage and we should b ready to go!
We have made a new resolution to avoid sugar. I am now seeing a naturalpathic doctor and turns out I have candida. It's an overgrowth of yeast in your belly. And guess what it likes to eat? You guessed it, sugar. She identified some other things we need to work on to get my body more balanced. I am keeping an open mind and hope it clears up my eczema and help me get pregnant. The kinda weird thing she found was I have a low temperature and blood pressure. She wasn't too concerned since I haven't reported feeling dizzy. But I have been having lots of mild headaches lately and would like to learn why.
It's all a jouney though. It was nice to hearthe doctor say that due to my diet I was ahead of a lot of other people ho first come to see her. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment