Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Why do we do the things we do?

What is it about human nature that causes us to do things that we know are bad for you? We know what the consequences will be and yet we do it anyway. I think maybe it is the feeling of that instant gratification. I have heard that when it comes to food we are wired in such a way that when we come across high calorie, tasty food our goal is to get a much of it as possible as you never know when it will appear again. This is all fine and dandy in paleolithic times, but now we have this high calorie, tasty and bad for us food on every corner. Unfortunately our wiring is still the same and we indulge. Too often and too much. 

During the week I do quite well staying away from all this temptation. The weekends are a different matter. I don't usually go crazy but have more treats than I  should. I figured out this may be the reason why I always feel lower energy at Tuesday night WOD's.

Yesterday was Monday and back to work day. Stopped in the morning for a Chai latte and told myself that was my treat for having to go to work when I just wanted to be home with Josh. At lunch I went to the store for errands and had barely an issue avoiding all the candy and temptations there. But on the way home from another walk I wandered into the Mac's store. This started in part because I did not have any "sweet" n my lunch. Usually we have fruit on hand and Josh puts some in my lunch with coconut flakes and honey. I usually crave sweet after I eat my lunch and this does the trick just fine. Didn't have any yesterday though. I went in fooling myself that I would look for some fruit. Instead saw a milkshake machine they had. Open the cup of ice cream and stick it in a cool machine that will mix it for you. I went for it part for the evenly and partly cause I told myself it would help me cool off. (Was 30 degrees yesterday).

Of course it was super yummy! But not long after my guts were rolling and the bathroom was calling. I know better. Any fake food is bad but fake dairy? Even worse. My discomfort did not last long but the guilt stayed. My main symptom when I eat food that my body does not like is headaches. As the night went on I developed a good one. Bad enough to take some Advil after I went to bed. Another fail. I used to take them a lot until Josh's concern helped wean me off.

And so another promise to "be better". You would think after all this time we would have a strategy for this. Some say cravings are your body craving other things. The way we eat is so much better than before and we are getting much more nutrients. I think it is more about the feelings we get when we eat the food. Josh might agree. He is addicted to M&M's. Not joking, it really seems to be an addiction at times.

One good things is that we will not be able to find anything like those on our river trip coming up. Taking some canoes down the Red Deer River to Drumheller. Should take about 4 days. I am looking forward to it. That will be the start of my holidays from work. I had taken it off as we were panning to got o Denver for a Zombie Run but Josh couldn't get the time off. Hell he still hasn't gotten Friday off and we leave Saturday morning. Leaving me to try to get he canoe and everything else ready. Not too happy about that. But anyways, I think I am going to enjoy being off work and having no real plans besides the river trip. Not sure the last time I had a holiday when it wasn't all planned out.

The week after that is the Mud Run!!! Eeeee! Getting excited. Josh and I went for a run on Sunday in the blazing heat. I woke up early and told him we should go run. He Gave me this bleary eyed look and asked "who are you"? I didn't have an answer or explanation. We did the same loop but the opposite way which starts with a long incline. Wasn't sure if that was a good idea but after the hill I recovered ok. By the end though I was spend. Kept repeating to myself "just keep moving". It was so hot. But good news, we beat our times by at least a minute I think. We have averaged about one run per month since we started and have improved each time. Happy with that. I guess we will see at the Mud Run if it was enough! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment