Monday, 20 August 2012

Adventures in Racing

Well I survived my first Spartan Race this past Saturday! And boy was it tough. On a motocross track in Calgary in almost 30 degree heat. Pure craziness. 1 hour and 7 minutes which I thought was a decent time. Failed more obstacles and burpees than I would have liked but what can one do? I got mad a few times and swearing. Not proud of that but I got over it, finished and learned. Josh did awesome, and I held him back as unusual. The GoPro video looked good but it missed the very last minute of my finish though the tough Spartan guys. Again, too many damn burpees.

Things I learned:
1) It is more fun when you have people at the race you know. Even if you don't run the same heat or at same pace as them you still get to hang out before and after.
2) I didn't realize that some of the obstacles I think you could try again if u slip - like a couple of the walls. I should have tried again.
3) Ask for help. I helped someone over a wall and for the life of me have no idea why I didn't ask the same. Too stubborn. I really swore about that one doing my burpees.
4) Bring your own wash station. The line up here was much better but still waited about an hour to get washed off. The same amount of time we spent racing, which seems silly. We're going to buy one of those camp showers or something to bring.
5) Those obstacles seem to be made for long limbed people. I'm just gonna have to get over it and find a way.

It was hard, and I'm not going to lie at some points in the last half of the race I was NOT having fun. Josh as always was super patient and didn't leave me for long even when I told him to go ahead. I really do have an amazing guy.

Now to plan what's next? Will have to comb all the race schedules and see if there is anything left in Western Canada before next spring. I'm really not sure, but I do know we will do more! Just not right away ... I'm still recovering. lol  

3 comments:

  1. You did awesome, April! Some of the obstacles really are tough so don't beat yourself up for missing them!

    Tough Mudder next year???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! Would love to do Tough Mudder next year and be on the same team as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot! Lesson #6, we need a race handler! Someone to come take pictures, get us water and all that stuff. lol. We are going to offer them our free beers from the race time chips. We didn't have a handler for this race and I am wishing we had more pics of us!

    ReplyDelete